Clinical Laboratory Scientist
Location: Santa Ysabel
Posted on: May 26, 2023
Performs pre-analytical, analytical and post-analytical phase
testing of all complexities as defined by Clinical Laboratory
Improvement Act/Amendment (CLIA) to include specialized tests and
analysis in one or more areas of clinical laboratory such as
Hematology, Microbiology, Clinical Chemistry, Urinalysis,
Immunohematology, Serology, Parasitology and chemical and
morphological examinations to obtain data for use in diagnosis and
recording laboratory test results. Analysis of test results are
performed on the population serviced (e.g., neonatal, pediatric,
adolescent, adult, geriatric clients).
Note: FOR CLS WORKING AT THE RRL, SEE ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS
SPECIFIED IN THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENT SECTION.
- Upholds Kaiser Permanente's Policies and Procedures, Principles
of Responsibilities and applicable state, federal and local
- Provides the highest level of patient care as defined by
established standards and maintains confidentiality on all tests
performed by the laboratory.
- Performs and reports test results for all clinical laboratory
procedures as assigned, both automated and manual, in the clinical
laboratory department, without immediate review by the director,
consultant, or supervisory team.
- Demonstrates proficiency, competency and understanding of
fundamental principles of clinical laboratory procedures with
minimal amount of supervision.
- Monitors and is accountable for test data, quality control,
quality assurance, preventive maintenance, proficiency testing and
all operations related to laboratory testing procedures.
- Notifies Supervisory team of any irregularities of factors,
which may influence test results.
- Ability to trouble- shoot equipment and test methods.
- Identifies and resolves unusual laboratory situations and
notifies appropriate parties within shift.
- Consults with physicians, nurses, pharmacists, etc. on the
technical aspects of methodologies used, appropriateness of test
utilization and interpretation of patient results.
- Instructs new employees and/or Clinical Laboratory Scientist
students in laboratory procedures within area the CLS assigned, in
order that they may develop proficiency and understanding of the
clinical laboratory methodology.
- Provides training, guidance and pertinent technical information
to Laboratory Assistants, support staff, clerks, CLS students and
Medical Center personnel.
- Discusses clinical laboratory problems of mutual interest with
the Supervisory team, and lead technologist in order to develop a
better communication link within the department.
- Participates in work groups to work through problems, issues or
goals of the department.
- Assists in evaluating new tests procedures when requested and
communicates to the Supervisory team the possibilities for their
- Meets states requirements for mandatory CEUs.
- As defined by established standards, works in a professional,
cooperative and courteous manner.
- Observes all laboratory, Kaiser Permanente and regulatory
agency policies and procedures.
- Maintains overall safety (including chemical and biological) of
the department in accordance with established safety, infection
control and procedure protocols.
- Monitors supplies and reagents and notifies appropriate parties
of par levels.
- As necessary and appropriate, may perform any clerical or other
duties of support staff/laboratory assistants that may be assigned
such as performing phlebotomy on inpatients and outpatients.
- Accepts responsibility of assisting in work areas not primarily
his/her own. Operates computerized laboratory data
- Participates in direct patient care by providing the patient
with information to enhance the understanding of laboratory test,
instructing the patient on specimen requirements and conditions for
specialized testing and collecting from the patient samples to
include blood, body fluids, secretions, and tissues for
- High School Education or General Education Development (GED)
License, Certification, Registration
- A current and valid California State Clinical Laboratory
Scientist License (CLS)
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of and to utilize the
principles, theories, practices, methodologies and techniques
required of a Clinical Laboratory Scientist.
- NOTE: ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR REGIONAL REFERENCE LABS
- Function competently as a Licensed Clinical Laboratory
Scientist in a high volume Laboratory demonstrating knowledge of
principles, theories, practices, techniques. Must have Good
communication skills and able to solve problems.
- Experience in the automated instrumentation; knowledge testing
principles; molecular based procedures; QC protocols; knowledge in
autoverification, EIA, chemiluminence and IFA platforms;knowledge
of method validations, and hematology validation, QC and
calibration, manual diff count. (CORE LAB, includes AUTO CHEM,
- Experience and knowledge in using high complex methods
employing electrophoresis,chromatography, and mass spectrometry,
and Special Coagulation (SPECIAL CHEMISTRY, SPECIAL COAGULATION,
- Experience in molecular microbiology, method validations, QC
and calibration, and testing, and other viral studies (MOLECULAR
- Read, interpret, work-up and report culture results for all
areas of Aerobic and Anaerobic Bacteriology; proficient in reading
and interpreting stained smears; knowledge and ability to set-up
and report automated/molecular identification and susceptibility
testing and interpret results (BACTERIOLOGY)
- NOTE: ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR REGIONAL FLOW CYTOMETRY (LOS
- One year recent experience in Flow Cytometry analysis such as
leukemia / lymphoma phenotyping, paroxysmal nocturnal
hemoglobinuria, T cell subset enumeration, DNA cell cycle analysis
and cytochemical staining.
- A Clinical Laboratory Scientist with a limited license will
only qualify for a CLS position within their specialty and only
applicable in the following departments at the Regional Reference
Laboratories: Chemistry limited license qualifies for Automated
Chemistry or Esoteric Chemistry CLS positions; Toxicology limited
license qualifies for Esoteric Chemistry CLS positions; Immunology
limited license qualifies for Molecular or Immunology CLS
positions; Microbiology limited license qualifies for Bacteriology,
Molecular or Immunology CLS positions; Hematology limited license
qualifies for Hematology and Special Coagulation.
- One (1) year recent experience as a CLS.
- Generalist preferred.
- May work at other SD Service Area MC labs as needed.
PrimaryLocation : California,San Marcos,San Marcos Hospital
HoursPerWeek : 1
Shift : Day
Workdays : Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun
WorkingHoursStart : 07:00 AM
WorkingHoursEnd : 03:30 PM
Job Schedule : Per Diem
Job Type : Standard
Employee Status : Regular
Employee Group/Union Affiliation : B02-1428 UFCW Local 1428
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Job Category : Laboratory
Department : SAN MARCOS MEDICAL CENTER - Pathology/Lab-PermLab
SysCoord - 0806
Travel : Yes, 25 % of the Time
Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a
diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation,
national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry,
disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information,
other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or
any other protected status.
Keywords: Kaiser, Chula Vista , Clinical Laboratory Scientist, Healthcare , Santa Ysabel, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...