Health Statistician (Epidemiology and Information Sciences)
Location: Chula Vista
Posted on: September 17, 2023
Description Are you looking for a career that will make an
impact? The Leidos Military and Veterans Health Solutions Operation
has an opening for a Health Statistician to join the Operational
Readiness Directorate at the Naval Health Research Center in San
Diego, CA. This work provides research support to the Epidemiology
and Information Management Sciences Department and involves
analyzing large electronic repositories of medical and
administrative data for military service members and veterans. This
research addresses the physical and psychological concerns of
military personnel to improve military readiness, wellness, and
quality of life. Results are delivered through abstracts,
presentations, peer-reviewed journal publications, and government
technical reports. Are you ready for unique and exciting work? The
Health Statistician will assist in writing funding proposals and
will participate in all aspects of research protocol execution.
They will design and develop methods, processes, and systems to
consolidate and analyze structured and unstructured, diverse
sources of data including big data. The Health Statistician will
develop and use advanced software programs, algorithms, querying
and automated processes to clean, integrate and evaluate
datasets.Work is conducted within a multidisciplinary team to
ensure connectivity between various databases and systems. The
Health Statistician will identify meaningful insights and interpret
and communicate findings and recommendations. They may develop
information tools, algorithms, and dashboards, and will maintain
awareness of emerging analytics and big-data technologies.Primary
- Generate and prepare datasets for statistical analyses, develop
and test research hypotheses, identify and conduct appropriate
statistical analyses such as multiple regression, analysis of
variance/covariance, exploratory and confirmatory factor
- Be familiar with disciplines such as natural language
processing, machine learning, predictive modeling, statistical
analyses, and hypothesis testing and appropriately use them in
- Effectively communicate processes and results (verbally,
graphically, and in writing) for customers and stakeholders.
- Develop research proposals, research protocols, presentations,
technical reports, and publications.
- Assist with regulatory documentation including agreements and
the maintenance of research protocols related to funded research
- Perform thorough review of published literature and government
technical communications. Summarize and communicate findings to be
used in grant applications and during dissemination of
- Work independently to achieve day-to-day objectives which
impact operational results and project deliverables for the
Operational Readiness Directorate.
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships within NHRC
and partnering institutions and commands.
- Develop and evaluate appropriate experimental and statistical
methodologies, write standards of procedure to perform those
methodologies, and perform quality assurance/quality control
- Work independently on larger, moderately complex
- Address complex technical issues/problems using internal best
practices and through collaboration with colleagues.
- Develop solutions to technical problems requiring technical
knowledge of military health research.
- Effectively communicate with colleagues across multiple
- Assist other technical staff with tasks and assignments.
- Develop information tools, algorithms, dashboards, and queries
for research projects.
- Travel to various settings as needed for data collection, as
well as for conference presentations, meetings, and other customer
- Ensure research tasks are completed on time and of appropriate
- Aid in preparing periodic internal reports and status
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required for the
customer research mission.
- Comply with all required Leidos and Government requirements and
complete required certifications and trainings.
- Support Leidos business development efforts such as
contributing subject matter expertise.
- Model Leidos Values at all times. If this sounds like an
environment where you can thrive, keep reading for the keys to
success! Basic QualificationsWe are looking for candidates who:
- Hold a Master's degree in statistics from an accredited US
university, or international university of equivalent standard, and
knowledge of SAS, SPSS, and/or R statistical software.
- Demonstrate at least 5 years of experience in data analysis
from large health datasets.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of and ability to apply
standards, principles, theories, concepts, and methodologies of
physical, psychological, and physiological health research.
- Demonstrate broad understanding of psychology, physical health,
human physiology, and human performance.
- Demonstrate knowledge and experience in processing research
- Are a self-starter, act on objectives in an independent manner,
demonstrate leadership, and have the ability to plan and prioritize
- Demonstrate knowledge of human subjects research.
- Demonstrate excellent critical thinking with problem-solving
skills and an ability to work cooperatively in a team setting.
Flexibility in responding to changing demands, timelines, and
priorities is required.
- Demonstrate strong computer skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to extend and apply the knowledge of
research to the missions of the NHRC and Navy customer.
- Must be a US Citizen and able to acquire and maintain, at a
minimum, a SECRET classification access level.Preferred
- Previous experience conducting research with high technical
sophistication in military, veteran, or related populations.
- Evidence of scientific achievement in the health research
domain is preferred, as demonstrated by the publication of articles
and reports, membership in professional scientific organizations,
experience in writing and editing technical and scientific research
information, and excellent verbal communication skills to confer
with professional colleagues/peers.
- Demonstrated success in grant writing is highly desired.
- Hold an active Interim or Secret Security clearance.Naval
Health West - NHW Pay Range: Pay Range $63,050.00 - $113,975.00 The
Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and
not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors
considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to)
responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge,
skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with
market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other
Keywords: Leidos, Chula Vista , Health Statistician (Epidemiology and Information Sciences), Healthcare , Chula Vista, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!