Patient Service Specialist - ED
Company: Scripps Health
Location: Chula Vista
Posted on: January 27, 2023
At Scripps Health, you will experience the pride, support, and
respect of an organization that has been repeatedly recognized as
one of the nation's Top 100 Places to Work.
You'll be surrounded by people committed to making a difference in
the lives of their patients and their teammates. So if you're open
to change, go ahead and unlock your potential.
Join a winning team at Scripps Mercy Hospital Chula Vista
supporting the Access & ED department as a Patient Service
Specialist. Working together, you'll bring your expertise,
compassion, and excellence to all we do. The ideal candidate will
thrive in a fast-paced environment and enjoy providing world class
As a Patient Service Specialist - ED, you will be responsible
* Interacting with patients, payers, and providers to gather
information necessary for accurate registration including assigning
of appropriate Medical Record Number, referral/authorization, point
of service payment collection, document collection and
* Receiving and routing messages received in the department
appropriately as well as manages customer billing and payment
inquires as needed.
* Effectively managing the patient check-in and check-out process
from start to finish, which includes identification verification;
updating or confirming demographic and insurance information on
every patient; ensuring appropriate forms are provided, signed and
witnessed at the time of the patient visit; verifying coverage
including benefits, authorization, pre-determination, payer
specific policy exclusions or limitations to coverage, collecting
any patient responsibility and accurately preparing end of day
reporting or payment reconciliation as needed.
* Assisting patients with HPE eligibility, discussing payment
arrangement options including financial assistance information,
providing price estimates.
* Accurately scheduling and re-scheduling patient appointments.
Successful scheduling includes, but not limited to, exhibiting
proficiency in appointment scheduling procedures, accurate
documentation, and routing of messages, scheduling and confirming
appointments according to practice guidelines, entering appropriate
insurance, initiating authorizations and referrals, performing Key
User duties with minimal errors.
* Coordinating scheduling, meeting and travel planning needs,
department communication as needed. May assist in gathering
necessary reports, statistics, outcomes for the department as
* Regularly displaying a proactive approach to customer service by
listening to the patient, taking ownership of solutions and being
able to accurately identify the need to involve leadership to
* Acting as a member of the patient care team by supporting the
clinical care staff in the care of the patient.
This is a Part Time position, working 8 hour varied shifts on
variable days. Flexible availability is a must. This position is
located at Scripps Mercy Hospital Chula Vista.
* Must be able to demonstrate proficiency of computer applications,
excellent mathematical skills, and ability to handle monies.
* Excellent communication and customer service skills.
* Strong organizational and analytical skills; innovative with
ability to identify and solve problems.
* Able to adapt, prioritize and meet deadlines.
* 2 years of experience in a customer service or healthcare/medical
* Knowledge of medical terminology, commercial and government
health insurance and billing guidelines, ACA requirements,
understanding of DRG's, Medical ICD9/ICD10 codes and CPT/HCPC Codes
Keywords: Scripps Health, Chula Vista , Patient Service Specialist - ED, Other , Chula Vista, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!