HIM Specialist I
Company: Family Health Centers of San Diego
Location: Chula Vista
Posted on: November 18, 2023
Impact Lives, Impact Community Family Health Centers of San
Diego (FHCSD) is passionate about providing exceptional health care
to all, especially underserved communities with limited health care
options. Founded by a Latina grandmother/community advocate over 50
years ago in Barrio Logan, FHCSD has grown into one of the largest
community health systems in the country. With over 62 sites, over
227,000 patients, and over 417,000 visits last year, we provide a
wide variety of health care and outreach services to a very diverse
patient population. We are proud of our mission, our lasting
community impact, and the cultural and individual diversity of our
staff. Family Health Centers of San Diego (FHCSD) is looking for a
HIM Specialist I. The DM/SPT HIM Specialist I perform day-to-day
tasks of the Health Information Management department, creating
optimal customer service for the department, patients, and clinic
sites alike. Under the supervision of the HIM DM/SPT Supervisor,
performs a broad range of preparation, retention, destruction,
document upload and quality assurance activities for patient
documents that are received in the HIM Department. Tasks include
sorting, prepping, purging, archiving, scanning documents, as well
as uploading records, linking records to encounters and orders,
sending records for interpretation, data entry, and ensuring added
records meet documented standards and regulations.
- Sorting, scanning, and uploading of medical records to EH R
- Navigate internal systems in the course of work
- Master standardized documentation and template rules and
protocols for electronic health records to include document naming,
filing, and uploading records.
- Link and closely associated orders and encounters in the course
of uploading records when such orders or encounters are directly
related to the records obtained.
- Produce accurate and precise work in a fast-paced and
- Provide paper medical records inventory, sorting, filing,
purging, shredding, storage, and retention.
- Meet daily productivity requirements based on assigned goals
- Ability to adapt to sudden changes in priority work
- Adhere to established protocols for reviewing medical records
and determining what records necessitate interpretation by the
ordering or requesting provider and sends them in a timely
- Apply broad knowledge of HIPAA and Privacy rules and
regulations, in particular for sharing PHI.
- Communicate significant findings in the course of daily work
duties, including potential risk management issues, to leadership
and other members of the team.
- Work closely with the entire HIM management team to identify
process issues related to E-HR and HIM work flow and offer
recommendations for resolutions or modifications particularly as it
relates to the paper/electronic interface and the daily work flow.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Intermediate Medical Terminology knowledge preferred.
- RHIA or RHIT certification preferred.
- At least one year work experience in the HIM services in a
clinical or hospital setting preferred.
- At least one year experience with an Electronic Health Record
(EHR) and practice management system preferred.
- Basic computer literacy (i.e., Excel, Outlook Word, Adobe
Acrobat, eFax Systems, Share Drives)
- Basic skills in medical computer applications and software
- Intermediate knowledge of medical terminology and record
- Bilingual English/Spanish Preferred.
- Other languages such as Vietnamese, Persian, Farsi, or Somali
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in
- Intermediate written and verbal communication skills, including
ability to communicate effectively with patients and family members
who speak English as a second language.
- Good organizational skills, attention to detail,
time-management skills, and strong motivation to meet deadlines and
- Ability to work well independently without a great deal of
- Ability to accurately complete data entry at relatively high
speed, utilizing grammar and spell check software. Rewards:
- Job type: Regular Full Time
- Competitive Salary with Excellent Benefits
- Retirement Plan with Employer Match
- Paid Time Off, Extended Sick Leave and Paid Holidays
- Medical/Dental/Vision/FSA/Life Insurance
- Employee Discounts and Wellness Programs
- Sponsoring Employer with an Equity Investment Company that can
assist you with your down payment for purchasing a homeFHCSD was
founded by community activists working towards a common goal:
caring, affordable, high-quality medical care for all. We are proud
to continue this mission today as we provide accessible services to
over 210,000 patients across San Diego County. The successful
candidate will have a demonstrated commitment to community medicine
and providing culturally competent care to the medically
underserved.In the spirit of pay transparency, we are excited to
share the base range for this position, exclusive of fringe
benefits or potential bonuses.$18.50 - $20.00 If you are hired at
Family Health Centers of San Diego, your final base salary
compensation will be determined based on factors such as geographic
location, jurisdictional requirements, skills, education, and/or
experience. In addition to these factors - we believe in the
importance of pay equity and consider internal equity of our
current team members as a part of any final offer. Please keep in
mind that the range mentioned above is what we reasonably expect to
pay for the role. Hiring at the maximum of the range would not be
typical in order to allow for future and continued salary growth.
We also offer a generous compensation and benefits package (more
information on our benefits offerings is available here: FHCSD
Wellness - Employee Hub (gobenefits.net) About UsAbout UsFounded in
1970, Family Health Centers of San Diego is dedicated to providing
caring, affordable, high-quality health care and support services
to all people, with a special commitment to the uninsured,
low-income and medically underserved. We are the largest community
clinic provider of health care to the uninsured in Southern
California and one of the top 10 largest community clinic
organizations in the country. Anti-Discrimination Statement
Family Health Centers of San Diego complies with applicable Federal
civil rights laws and does not discriminate, exclude people or
treat them differently on the basis of race, color, national
origin, religion, physical and mental disability, sex, including
pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, age, genetic
information, language preference/ability, citizenship status,
marital status, sexual orientation and gender identity, AIDS/HIV,
medical condition, political activities or affiliations, military
or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic violence,
assault, or stalking.
Keywords: Family Health Centers of San Diego, Chula Vista , HIM Specialist I, Other , Chula Vista, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!