Unpaid Veterinary Technician Extern
Company: Banfield Pet Hospital
Location: Chula Vista
Posted on: June 13, 2022
SUMMARY OF JOB PURPOSE AND FUNCTION The primary purpose and
function of the Extern is to shadow the coach veterinary technician
or veterinarian in order to observe and take part in clinical
procedures and to gain various firsthand veterinary experience and
knowledge. Description - External ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND
- Live and exemplify the Five Principles of Mars, Inc. within
self and team.
- Meet with coach to identify program expectations and create
- Learn all aspects of hospital organization and function by
observing and participating in procedures with the coach doctor or
- Ensure the safety of pets, clients and associates by utilizing
safe restraining techniques, following standard protocols, and
maintaining clean, sterile and organized treatment areas, exam
rooms and labs.
- Provide professional, efficient and exceptional service at all
times. This includes performing procedures that do not require
veterinarian assistance (depending on skill level), performing
surgical procedures in the presence of mentor veterinarian,
completing preparatory work for other procedures, ensuring that
clients and pets are comfortable in the hospital, monitoring
hospitalized or surgical pets.
- Act as the extra eyes, ears and hands for the veterinarian to
ensure the best quality pet care.
- Mentor and be mentored through the objectives of the Externship
- Other job duties as assigned. THE FIVE PRINCIPLES
- Quality The consumer is our boss, quality is our work and value
for money is our goal.
- Responsibility As individuals, we demand total responsibility
from ourselves; as associates, we support the responsibility of
- Mutuality A mutual benefit is a shared benefit; a shared
benefit will endure.
- Efficiency We use resources to the full, waste nothing and do
only what we can do best.
- Freedom We need freedom to shape our future; we need profit to
remain free. HIRING QUALIFICATIONS / COMPETENCIES Leadership
Action-Oriented Integrity & Trust Peer Relationships Listening
Functional Priority Setting Communication Skills Personal Learning
Composure CAPABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE (CAN DO)
- Ability to multi-task Manages multiple tasks at one time;
quickly and accurately shifts attention among multiple tasks under
distracting conditions without loss of accuracy or appearance of
- Communication skills Reads, writes and speaks fluent English,
using appropriate grammar, style and vocabulary. Correctly spells
commonly used English words and job specific terms. Demonstrates
exceptionally strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Organizational ability Demonstrates a systematic approach in
carrying out assignments. Is very orderly and excels at cutting
through confusion and turning chaos into order.
- Problem solving skills Demonstrates a strong ability to
identify, analyze and solve problems. Unusually decisive in
handling difficult problems. Translates problems into practical
- Client service skills Consistently ensures the team provides
the client with attentive, courteous and informative service. Gains
and shows personal satisfaction from delivering great service.
- Intellectual ability Accurately and consistently follows
instructions delivered in an oral, written or diagram format. Can
- Mathematical ability Ability to add, subtract, multiply and
divide, and to compute rate, ratio and percent; ability to convert
units of measurement.
- Computer skills Comfortably and confidently uses a computer and
specialized software. Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Outlook,
- Leadership skills Ability to lead and manage projects with a
sense of urgency to get results. Ability to successfully supervise,
coach and mentor others. Displays positive attitude toward all
practice protocols, procedures, and systems. ATTITUDES (WILL
- Initiative Shows willingness and aptitude to use own discretion
in taking appropriate steps in finding solutions to problems;
presents options and ideas to enhance current processes or
procedures. Takes on additional responsibility when both big and
small tasks need to be done.
- Integrity Firmly adheres to the values and ethics of Banfield
Pet Hospitals. Exhibits honesty, discretion, and sound
- Cooperativeness Willing to work with others, collaborating and
compromising where necessary; promptly share relevant information
- Flexibility Is open to changing situations and opportunities
and is willing to perform all tasks assigned.
- Independence Able and willing to perform tasks and duties
- Tolerance for Stress / Resiliency Maintains a positive can do
outlook, rebounds quickly from frustrations and unpleasantness, and
maintains composure and friendly demeanor while dealing with
stressful situations. SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS
- Ability to be confident around pets (i.e., dogs, cats, birds,
- Client needs and work volume may often require more than 40
hours per week to complete essential duties of this job. This
position requires special hours including working weekends and
- The noise level in the work environment is moderately
- Requires sufficient ambulatory skills in order to perform
duties while at hospital.
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well
as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, finger-hand-arm dexterity
with the ability to reach and grasp, and visual acuity to use a
keyboard and operate equipment.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth
perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Associate is routinely exposed to a variety of pets that may
bite or scratch, and on occasion, exposed to anesthesia, radiation,
biological hazards and medication/controlled substances.
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING
- Enrolled in a AVMA accredited Veterinary Technology program WE
ARE A DRUG-FREE, SMOKE-FREE, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. Banfield
Pet Hospital strongly supports and values the uniqueness of all
individuals and promotes a work environment where diversity is
embraced. Banfield Pet Hospital is an equal opportunity employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information,
status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual
with disability. Banfield Pet Hospital complies with all applicable
federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in
employment in every Banfield location.
Keywords: Banfield Pet Hospital, Chula Vista , Unpaid Veterinary Technician Extern, Professions , Chula Vista, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!